Do you know the difference between an RMT and an untrained massage practitioner? You may be surprised to learn that a Registered Massage Therapist needs to complete between two to three years of training at a college or certified massage school, to complete more than 1,500 hours of clinical work, and to pass rigourous examinations before being allowed to belong to the Registered Massage Therapists Association of Ontario.
RMTs are professionals with skill and background knowledge. For instance, a Registered Massage Technician
must learn the causes and symptoms of many different medical conditions and disorders. They must study anatomy, physiology, neurology, histology, and other types of biological sciences. As well, they must pass classes in ethics and professionalism, learn business skills, and practice many different types of massage before earning an RMT designation.
Finding An RMT In Your Neighbourhood
There are many fine Registered Massage Technicians in Etobicoke. One way to find one is to ask your physician for a referral. More and more physicians are recognizing the real health benefits that regular massage can bring to their patients, whether it is employed for stress relief, or to manage chronic pain or other conditions. Massage stimulates blood flow and improves circulation; it helps to relieve stress and prevent stress-related disease, and it aids the body in draining fluids and ridding toxins. Targeted massage can work on specific problems or medical issues, helping to alleviate symptoms or speed healing.
If you already see a holistic professional such as a naturopath, homeopath, or acupuncturist,
it's probable that these therapists will be able to recommend an RMT who is a good match for you. Many Etobicoke-area clinics employ or are associated with an RMT.
You can also do some research to find out what type of Registered Massage Therapist would best benefit you, and then interview some prospective RMTs.
Know Your Massage
There are dozens of types of massage practiced in Canada today. Before booking an appointment, take the time to research these various types of massage, and find an RMT who specializes in the ones you think will be most beneficial to you. Here are a few of the most popular types of massage:
- Swedish massage. This is the most common form of massage, and a good place to start. A relatively gentle type of massage, Swedish techniques promote circulation and flexibility, and can alleviate symptoms of many medical conditions.
- Deep tissue massage. This refers to various techniques that result in massage of underlying muscle and fascia. It's usually used to target problem areas.
- Hot stone massage. Heated stones are used to loosen muscles, allowing for deeper massage without using a lot of pressure.
- Aromatherapy. With this treatment, concentrated plant material called essential oils are added to the massage oil in order to cleanse, energize, calm, or decongest.
- Sports massage. Special treatments are used for athletes who need to warm muscles up quickly, or get rid of toxins after strenuous exercise.
- Pregnancy massage. This specialty helps pregnant women relax and feel more comfortable, increasing blood flow to the baby.
These and many more types of massage are available in Etobicoke. Book an appointment today and enjoy relaxation and rejuvenation at the hands of a Registered Massage Therapist!